Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
January 14, 2019
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian, Rebekah Salamack, Mary Anne Slack, trustees, Lynn Dobson, chair
Minutes of the December meeting were read and accepted.
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
- All regular programming, including Paws and Pages, continues.
- Jonathan Schmidt came to teach how to play Dungeons and Dragons. 15 children had signed up but only 3 attended the first session. Another 3 came to the second session.
- Two grants have been received to fund Lindsay and her Puppet Pals to kick off the summer reading program and Brenner Family Magic Shows for the finale.
- Katie is applying for a Museum of Science grant to fund a Night Sky event.
- Weeding of old materials and the ordering of new materials continues.
- The Legislative Breakfast was held on January 4th. It was well-attended. Ten speakers addressed areas of concern for libraries. Senator Anne Gobi and selectmen Ralph Hicks and Wendy Berthiaume also attended. A video of the meeting is available on the library’s website and on Spencer Cable Access.
- Next year’s library budget has been submitted to the Town Administrator. Two additional staff members (at 19.5 hours per week) were requested in order to meet state requirements and to allow the library to be open on Saturdays.
- The library’s annual statement was submitted for the town’s report.
- Wendy O’Leary is planning to host a book group series, “Awakening Joy.” It will run from mid-March to mid-June.
- Guardian has installed the library’s new phone system.
- Performance Plumbing and Heating of Medway completed the installation of the new heating system.
- The handicapped door needs to be fixed. The custodian will be able to install the door opener once the parts are purchased. The estimate for the parts is $1,200. State grant funds will be used.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:15 PM. The next meeting will be Monday, February 11th at 4:30 PM