Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
Monday, October 13, 2017
In attendance: Cheryl Donahue, Library Director, Deborah Kirk, Children’s Librarian
Trustees: Amy Paul, Mary Anne Slack, Lynn Dobson, chair
- The minutes of the 9/18/2017 meeting were read and accepted.
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
- Debbie attended an excellent workshop on communication skills in Charlton.
- All programs have begun. Katie will attend a Teen Summit in Worcester.
- Chris Gleason gave a lecture to eight children and their parents.
- The principal of WVS has been contacted about the library staff doing book talks at the school library. Contact with Knox Trail is in process.
- Book marks will be made to promote the Paws for Pages program in order to increase participation.
- The library trustees’ role in the future of the Sugden Block was discussed.
- Cheryl attended the department head meeting.
- Cheryl and Debbie will attend the MLS annual meeting in Worcester on November 1st.
- Fifteen librarians attended a meeting hosted by Cheryl to promote advocacy for libraries in central Massachusetts.
- Make It @ The Library programs are well attended, as are the Walks With the Librarians. The adult cookbook club and computer classes remain popular. New programs this month include an Open Mic night and drop-in chess classes with Bill Dobson.
- The Friends of the Library Book and Bake Sale raised $750, the largest amount ever raised by this event. Unsold books were picked up by Big Hearted Books.
- Several staff members have attended workshops this past month on the topics of communication, team building and cataloging.
- Jonathan put together new display units where new nonfiction books are now displayed.
- MPC will provide an estimate for replacing the HVAC system. There is a new leak on the lower level.
- Cheryl will attend the October 23rd meeting of the select board to make sure the HVAC need is addressed. Bill Ross, interim Town Manager, has stated that $25,000 has been set aside for design specification costs. The capital expense will be brought to the spring town meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 PM. Next meeting is set for November 16, 2017