Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
September 9, 2019
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian, Mary Anne Slack, trustee, Lynn Dobson, chair
The meeting was called to order at 4:33 PM. The minutes from the August meeting were read and accepted.
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
- Community Connections began fall programs on September 12th.
- Smith has contacted town departments about holding a Big Truck Day at the library.
- Teens are planning a Haunted History Walk at the Congregational Cemetery on October 19th.
- Dungeons and Dragons will begin in November for 6 weeks.
- Mayotte will teach a pendant jewelry class for teens on October 21st.
- Imagination Stations will begin on October 1st.
- Smith continues to visit Dipody Doo Daycare, providing story times and books.
- Plans are in progress for an outreach literacy program for local kindergarteners.
- On 8/12 a group of library advocates attended the selectmen’s meeting to voice support for the library.
- Donahue attended an Open House at WVS and gave away more than 100 books.
- Twenty boxes of our discarded books have been donated to a Boston agency who will distribute them to Little Libraries in the city.
- The Spencer Street Festival drew 150 visitors to the library for a book signing and crafts.
- Fifty programs for all ages were held throughout the summer.
- A new Library Page will be hired this month.
- Rugs have been professionally cleaned.
- The faulty boilers will be replaced by the manufacturer and installed this month.
- The new front doors will be installed this month.
The trustees were presented with a request for the library to be closed on December 24th and 25th, reopening on the 26th. The proposal was accepted.
Discussion was held to create a list of library building needs in order of priority. The first three areas to be addressed are 1. Overhaul of the drainage system including roof, gutters and walkway drains to prevent flooding of the lower level. (est. $20,000) 2. Repair concrete ramp for handicapped access on lower level. (est. $10,000) 3. Repair the deteriorating walls and ceiling in the stairwell. (est. $10,000) Other items include updating the library website, updating lighting, repairing the front of the building including side stairs and railings.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:40 PM. The next meeting is scheduled for 10/21/19 at 4:30 PM.