Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
November 20, 2018
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian
Rebekah Salamack, Mary Anne Slack, Trustees, Lynn Dobson, Chair
The minutes of the October meeting were read and accepted.
Children’s Room Report:
- Regular programs continued throughout the month.
- Jonathan Schmidt will hold two sessions to teach staff and teen patrons to play Dungeons and Dragons.
- Ten new playaway launch pads have been purchased.
- Leasing of audiobooks from TEI Landmark has begun in the Children’s Room. The Adult section has been doing this for several months. They will begin with 13 titles, rotating new titles for a total of 27 per year.
- Cheryl represented the library at WVS’s Parents’ Night on October 25th, meeting lots of parents and children.
- Katie represented the library at a department head meeting on November 7th.
- Katie completed the 2nd of four basic library techniques classes.
- Katie attended the Eric Carle Educator’s Night on November 13th in Amherst.
- Cheryl attended an Open Meeting Law presentation at Town Hall. She also attended the Education Alliance Focus Group Social at DPHS.
- The library held an Open House in conjunction with Town Hall on October 16th. Town Administrator, three members of the select board and the school superintendent were in attendance. The local history museum was open.
- The library will host a Legislative Breakfast from 8-10 AM on January 4, 2019. Senator Anne Gobi will be the featured speaker.
- Cheryl has applied for a grant to create a summer program on local history.
- Wendy O’Leary’s Mindfulness Meditation program continues on Wednesday mornings.
- Frank Morrill presented a follow-up program to “Spencer Through Time” on November 1st with over 70 people in attendance.
- Guardian will provide a new phone system for the library.