Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
September 17, 2018
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian
Rebekah Salamack, guest, Mary Anne Slack, Lynn Dobson, trustees
Minutes of the July meeting were read and accepted. Amy Paul accepted the position of Children’s Librarian Assistant, tendering her resignation to the Board of Trustees. Rebekah Salamack was invited as a guest for consideration of her filling the trustees position until the election in May of 2019.
Children’s Librarians Report:
- Fall programming has begun with Toddler Story Hour and Preschool Story Hour.
- Firefighter Ralph will visit on October 16th for a fire safety program.
- Teen Mania, Imagination Station, Paws for Pages, and Community Connections will offer programs in the upcoming weeks.
- Katie has applied for Cultural Council grants for entertainment programs.
- Katie will attend two professional development meetings focusing on YA programming.
- Debbie Kirk retired from her position as Children’s Librarian on August 9th. An open house was held in her honor. Amy Paul accepted the position of Children’s Library Assistant.
- On September 11th the library was closed until 1 PM so that staff could attend a workshop on de-escalating situations in the library.
- The annual ARIS report was submitted before the August deadline.
- The annual financial report was submitted before the October deadline. This is the first time in several years that we will not have to submit a waiver to the state.
- The library will host a Meet and Greet Your Local Leaders Open House on October 16th from 5-7 PM.
- “Libraries Rock” Summer Reading Program ended on August 2th. 250 participants read 1,500 books. Sixty programs for both adults and children were offered, with 1,000 participants.
- The annual Book and Bake Sale will be held on Saturday, September 22nd from 9 to 2.
- Open Mic Night will resume on Tuesday, October 9th from 6-9 PM.
- The first Paint Night was successful with 20 participants. The next one will be held on Sunday, October 14th from 3 to 5 at the American Legion.
- Walks with the Librarians continue to be popular, held on Tuesday mornings from 8:30-9:30.
- The front door and steps are being restored.
- There are changes in the Trustees Meetings due to vacations. Changes have been posted.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:30 PM.