Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
January 13, 2019
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian, Rebekah Salamack, Mary Anne Slack, trustees, Lynn Dobson, chair
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 PM. Minutes of the December meeting were read. R. Salamack moved to accept, seconded by M. Slack. The vote was unanimous.
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
- The children’s room had a break from programming during school vacation. Programs have resumed with Community Connections providing two weekly programs, Paws and Pages on the last Thursday of the month, Tuesday Toddler and Preschool Story Times. Farmer Neil will be the special guest presenter on 2/4 with a snow date of 2/11.
- Teen Mania has started the art series. The first session was concrete poetry. Debbie Kirk will teach watercolor painting on 1/27.
- Imagination Station for grades K-5 is held on Wednesdays from 4-4:45.
- K. Smith has completed her Basic Library Training certification.
- Weeding of the collection and purchasing of new materials is ongoing.
- Passive programs for patrons are provided each month.
Library Director’s Report:
- The Spencer Writer’s Group met on 1/6.
- “Happiness” book discussion was held on 1/7 with excellent attendance.
- A. Paul and C. Donahue brought an outreach program to the Bixby Road housing development on 1/8. The program was attended by enthusiastic school aged children as well as some adults.
- “A Piece of the World” by Christina Baker Kline book discussion was held on 1/13.
- The Wednesday morning “Pause” meditation group continues to be well attended.
- The library closed early (5 PM) on 12/30 due to weather conditions.
- C. Donahue visited the North End Branch of Boston Public Library.
- Library staff participated in active shooter training presented by the Spencer Police Dept. on 1/9. A follow-up session will take place at the library in the near future.
- C. Donahue will be on vacation from Wednesday, 1/15 through Thursday, 1/23
- The Town Manager has approved hiring a summer intern at $14 per hour.
- K. Smith and P. Mayotte have completed Basic Library Training certification.
- Boiler issues are still unresolved.
- Two commercial roofing companies, Roberts Roof, Inc. and Kidd-Luukko Corp. have met with C. Donahue to discuss gutters and drainage issues.
- Watson Landscaping & Construction has been contracted for plowing and shoveling for the library for 2020.
- M. Slack moved to put $40,000 in a 6 month certificate of deposit. The motion was seconded by R. Salamack. The vote was unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:17 PM. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 10th at 4:30 PM.