Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
April 10, 2017
Cheryl A. Donahue, Library Director, Deborah Kirk, Children’s Librarian
Mary Anne Slack, Maryanne Gleason, trustees, Lynn Dobson, chair
The meeting was called to order at 4:36 PM. The minutes of the March meeting were read and accepted.
Report of the Children’s Librarian:
- The first Children’s Librarian Roundtable had six participants.
- Instead of holding an annual Kindergarten Open House, there will now be Kids’ Day at the Library. 35 children participated in the first one. 27 parents and children attended the performance that ended the day.
- Two singing classes were held for grades 5-8. Seven students participated.
- The afterschool program “Make It Move” has had 10 regular participants.
- Events for school vacation week will include artist Theresa Montheith creating a collage with students in grades 5-8. Tom McCarty will bring his Birds of Prey program, and children will plant seeds and make wind socks and wind chimes.
- Two high school students have begun volunteering and will work once a week until the end of the school year.
- The money refunded for the discontinued Mango Language program was used to buy Launch Pads. Three are intended for Pre-K to 5 year olds, three for kindergarten through grade two and two for grades 3 to 5. They may be taken out using a library card. They are preloaded with STEAM apps.
- Staff will attend workshops on customer service and core values at the Charlton Library.
- Representatives from St. Joseph’s Abbey will give a presentation on May 18th at 6 PM.
- The library will participate in the Town-Wide Yard Sale in the fall.
- The artisan display for the month is Indian artifacts and arrowheads by Pierre St. John.
- State grant funding for Escape Room Programming was denied.
- Lighting has been installed outside behind the library by the custodian.
- The handicap ramp will be installed this year.
The trustees discussed changing the days the library is open to allow for opening on Saturday. I was decided that Saturday opening is not feasible until there is funding for an additional staff position and maintenance and utility costs.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:55 PM.