Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
July 8, 2019
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian
Trustees: Mary Anne Slack, Lynn Dobson, chair
The minutes of the May/June meeting were read and accepted.
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
● Community Connections will provide two programs in August: Dinosaur Dig and a
kindergarten readiness program.
● On July 9th
there will be a program for the younger children with Deb Hudgins.
● Teen Mania welcomes Master of Adventure back for two consecutive weeks.
● Teens have been decorating the Children’s Room.
● The Kick-Off for the Summer Reading Program will be on July 11th
with Lindsay and her
● New and replacement books are being ordered for the Children’s Library, as well as new
● K. Smith continues to provide story times at Dipody Doo Day Care. Approximately 20
children are in attendance each time. Books are loaned to the children.
● The children’s librarians will be reading the Summer Reading selections to students in
● The finale and ice cream social will be on August 15th
● C. Donahue has attended the following meetings: ARIS workshop in Athol on 6/12,
CWMARS annual meeting in Shrewsbury on 6/18, Director’s Roundtable in Sturbridge on
● In anticipation of the library page leaving for college, the job description has been
● Weekly Walks with the Librarians continue to be popular. A book swap and brewery
tour at Timber Yard Brewing Company was successful with 30 people attending.
● The library is celebrating the 50th
anniversary of Woodstock with a program and raffles.
● Staff evaluations have been started.
● Boiler issues continue. The Utilities and Facilities Director is working with the
manufacturer and installer to resolve the problem with the faulty boiler. The boiler was
removed back in June.
● The trustees were notified that the sale of the Sugden Block was for $50,000. $5,000 of
that was used to pay a water bill. The remaining $45,000 will be used at the discretion of
the library trustees. After discussing possible uses for the money, it was decided that the
Town Manager would be invited to the next meeting to clarify details of the boiler and
A/C situation. He will be informed of the long list of building concerns. It was decided
that the trustees would attend the selectman’s meeting on August 12th
to ask for
support for the library.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 PM. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, August 12th
at 4:30 PM.
Search Our Site
Richard Sugden Library
8 Pleasant St.
Spencer, MA 01562
Hours of Operation
10a.m. - 7p.m.
10a.m. - 5p.m.
10a.m. - 5p.m.
10a.m. - 7p.m.
Enter Your Starting Address!
Take MA Pike Route 90 to Exit 9. After tolls, take the exit for Route 20 East/Charlton. Follow Route 20E past Walmart plaza (on your left). After Walmart, move into the LEFT lane. Take left onto Route 49. Follow Route 49 to end. Take right onto Route 9 East. At 2nd light, take LEFT onto Route 31 North/Pleasant St. The Library is on your right. Parking lot is across the street from the Library’s main entrance.
Adult Summer 2019 Slideshow